Fungal Nail Infections
What is Fungal nail disease?
• Fungal nail disease affects up to 14% of the adult population.
• Fungi that feed on keratin, a structural protein within your nails, frequently cause the condition.
• Fungal colonies proliferate in moist environments and invade the nail bed by penetrating the margins of the nail.
• Fungal nail disease may result in pain, impair the ability to walk and can contribute to negative self-esteem.
• Nail discoloration - from white through to a shade of brown.
• Crumbly Nails
• Thickened Nails
• Nails dropping off
• Prescription medications,
• Surgery to remove the nail,
• Topical medications (creams),
All of which can have side effects and can also be ineffective to cure fungal nail disease.
The most recent clinical data shows that laser treatment is over 80% effective to achieve clear nails, pain-free and without side effects.
Is the procedure painful?
You will feel a warm sensation during the procedure which lasts one or two minutes per toenail. This is from a laser beam that will be slowly directed across the nail bed. The laser beam will generate heat beneath the nail and within the underlying fungal colony.
How soon will I have clear nails?
You will not see a result immediately, but rather over a period of months as the nail resumes healthy growth. Nails grow slowly, so you may not see significant improvement for several months, but you should see a gradual growth of clear nail.
Will I need more than one treatment?
Additional treatments may be recommended depending on severity of the fungal infection. Your podiatrist will talk with you about the possibility of having additional treatments and will also advise you on the proper care of your nails to minimise the risk of recurrence.
What else do I need to know?
• The procedure is safe
• No local anesthesia is required
• There are no side effects
• Socks and shoes can be worn immediately after the procedure.
• Nail Polish can be applied after treatment
• There is no tissue damage and therefore no healing is required.
• Check with your health insurance provider to determine if the procedure is covered with your policy.
Clinical Study results?
The investigator concluded that the laser therapy was safe, well tolerated and very effective in promoting the growth of clear nails in patients with onychomycosis. With significant improvement two months after initial treatment.